Saturday, August 02, 2008

Watch Your BP Triggers

Hey, y'all --

Someone reminded me today that we can never get lazy and forget to watch our bipolar triggers!

It's summer, for one thing, and those "lazy, hazy days of summer", for some of us, make us lazy about a bunch of things.

But 2 things we CAN'T get lazy about:
1. Taking our meds.
2. Watching our triggers.

We have to always be vigilant, no matter how long it's been since our last episode.

For another thing, (and this is especially for you, M.)--

If you know you have an especially stressful situation coming up, one that might be a trigger to a BP episode...

1. Make sure your meds are at their right dosages (maybe slightly increased for the situation -- check with your doc).

2. Make sure you check with your inner self -- both emotionally and spiritually -- and that you are ok with your self. If not, get that way! You have to be strong.

3. Check your stress levels. Practice your stress reduction exercises. Now, I am NOT a doctor, therapist, psychiatrist, or mental health professional, etc. But, if necessary, you might want to have your doc prescribe you some PRN (when/if necessary) anti-anxiety medication if you need it during the upcoming situation you are about to face.

4. Practice relaxation exercises. They will, hopefully, keep your stress level down as well. If necessary, during the upcoming family visit (or whatever situation you are facing), excuse yourself from time to time and go off by yourself to work your relaxation exercises. If you can't get physically away, you can always stay right there and do some deep breathing, at least, and that will help some (maybe even fend off that anxiety attack!:))

5. Journal write before, during, and after the visit (or other stressful situation). Prepare yourself mentally as best you can.

6. Watch yourself and ALL your triggers! Stay aware and be prepared! Watch your meds, diet, exercise, and sleep.

7. ALWAYS take care of yourself physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually.

As always, I wish you peace and stability.

Remember God loves you and so do I,
Michele

7 Comments:

At 3:25 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Thank you so much Michele for this post. I will refer to it often over the next few weeks as I get myself prepared for my moms visit.
Thank you also for doing this blog. I come here everyday and find your words so comforting and so helpful. It is nice having someone who understands my situation and that can help me get through things.
Melissa

 
At 6:45 PM, Blogger Michele said...

Melissa--

I'm glad my post helped you.

It's for people like you that I'm here. You inspire me as much as I inspire you.

Hang in there, ok?

Michele

 
At 10:35 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

Thank you for the reminder. We had a lot of stuff get dumped on us this week from people that don't understand how stress affects me. A big thank you to my wonderful, supportive husband for letting them know and standing up for me, without making me seem crazy and disfunctional. (that's a fine line to some people, isn't it) He is my reminder guy. "Don't do too much! Don't stress yourself out! Take some time, I'll watch the kids."

What a great thing it is to be able to read that others are going through the same thing!

 
At 5:23 AM, Blogger Michele said...

Hi, Michelle --
(great name, BTW:))

Glad you've joined us, and welcome!

Great that you have such a supportive husband, and glad you're doing so well.

Keep us posted, ok?

Wishing you peace and stability,

and Remember God loves you and so do I,
Michele

 
At 6:49 AM, Blogger The Pastoral Princess said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 6:59 AM, Blogger The Pastoral Princess said...

Hi Michelle, I just discovered your blog and am grateful to have found it. I have recently been diagnosed as possibly BP by my family physician, I am awaiting an appointment with Psych M.D. But I think I have known for quite some time that I am BP, I was just in denial.

I am grateful for this post. I am currently trying to figure out what my triggers are, and am coming to realize that perhaps I am cycling more often than I care to admit. It's going to be a long journey, but I am grateful to have found your blog.....this will help.

 
At 8:24 AM, Blogger Michele said...

Welcome, Princess --
And may you find sanctuary here.
If you go to bipolarcentral.com, you will find much information there. I'm sure it will help. Read some of my articles posted there, as well. I hope you will be encouraged to know at least that you are not alone!

And keep coming back here, because we all are kind of a "family," and we help each other out.

Glad you're here!

Wishing you peace and stability...

Remember God loves you and so do I,
Michele

 

Post a Comment

<< Home