Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Doctor Accepts Bipolar Disorder

Hey, y'all --

I took my husband to the neurologist this morning because he has something wrong with his head called occipital neuralgia (try saying THAT 10 times fast!). He gets these headaches, like migraines but they aren't migraines (still, they're real painful), 2-3 times a week.

Well, the thing is, you know how when you go to a doctor you have to list all your medications? So Bill had to list all his, and of course they were all bipolar medications. So then the doctor knew he had BP.

Sometimes when doctors find out you have bipolar disorder, they treat you like you have the plague, do you know what I mean? I've had doctors that treat me that way. I mean, not my regular family doctor, of course, or my mental health professionals. But other doctors I've had to see for physical problems.

It's just part of the overall picture of society's stigma against mental illness in general and bipolar disorder in particular (I preach about this all the time). What people don't know about, they fear. So sometimes, they fear us. It just isn't fair that it seems like we have to be the ones to educate other people about our disorder.

But this morning, the doctor treated my husband with the utmost respect and dignity. You have no idea (well, you probably do) how refreshing that was.

Well, I just wanted you to know that. That there are some good doctors out there, so don't give up!

I wish you happiness and stability.

Remember God loves you and so do I!
Michele

1 Comments:

At 12:23 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home