Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Happy New Year!

Hey, y'all!

Well, I hope y'all had a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. I sure learned my lesson. As I said I was gonna do, I cancelled Christmas this year, but boy was I sorry I did. I got SO depressed! Next year I'm putting it all back. I don't care whether the kids want the tree or not -- I'm getting one. And I don't care if they want decorations or not, I'm still putting them up! I want Christmas, even if it's just for me.

I turned 50 on New Years Eve... you really don't want me to go on about that, it isn't exactly positive. My best friend from high school called me to wish me a happy birthday yesterday, and we were talking about it, cuz she turned 50 in October, and I was saying how depressed I was over turning 50, and she was just so positive about it, and getting on my case about being so negative about it!

I don't know why -- I handled 40 real good... but I'm having a real hard time with 50. I think alot of it is that I had gained all that weight (30 lbs in 3 months) when I had that problem with my thyroid gland, so I'm not feeling good in my own skin, if you know what I mean. Then I had to stop exercising because I got "trochanteric bronchitis" (because I'm getting old, the doctor says), but now I got the shots into both hips, so I'll be able to start exercising again soon.

But my girlfriend got on my case because I used to be a real positive person, and she still is, so she was telling me I should be positive about it. I hate that I haven't been positive lately. I mean, everyone I counsel and talk to about their bipolar disorder, well, I'm always positive with them, and now I've got this little person on my shoulder saying, "Why don't you practice what you preach?"

Hopefully, I'll get out of this mood soon. I think it was just the holidays. Things should go back to normal soon. I should have some real exciting news for y'all real soon, if all goes well!

Remember that God loves you and so do I!
Michele

5 Comments:

At 6:10 AM, Blogger misty said...

Hey Michelle,
Happy belated Birthday girl!
I turned the big 50 almost 3 years ago. I know the pain!
What makes it worse is this poor body of ours giving up on us.
Guess what? I gave up Christmas too this year, thinking to save the money (BIG problem every year!) and spare the stress. Well, I also wanted to teach my 17yr. the true meaning of Christmas.
Total flop!
I did decorate the house and put up the small tree (I totally refused to handle the 12footer and settled for the 7ft one, which threw my husband into a fit...-major depressed mood), but this year there were no gifts under the tree. Well, my son got his gifts of choice ahead of time, worth over $1000, and really hoped for more under the tree. All he got was a card statement showing his spring trip to Europe paid for ( another $2400 but he already knew about it) along with a bank statement on his college acct. with $10000 in it (which he did not know about). I was SOOOO proud of myself! For once I was ahead of the game instead of trying to catch my tail.(he'll go to college in fall)
He almost cried in disappointment. It broke my heart, but he needed the lesson so bad.
Well, you need to know the whole story to really understand what I'm saying. But it still broke my heart. Next year we'll have actual wrapped gifts again! Period.
I just knew he could not handle it. I usually put out the gifts Christmas Eve when we also open them. LOTS OF THEM! This year, after seeing nothing under the tree (although I repeatedly told him there will be none) he asked me to wrap his i-phone (choice gift 2 weeks earlier...)so he would have something. SAAAAAD!
I will never do that again!

Well, hang in there. I know it sounds cliche, but attitude IS everything! keep it positive!!! One really has to look for the silver lining.

 
At 2:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 6:22 PM, Blogger Michele said...

Thanks, Misty--
You really do know how I felt this year, don't you? It was such a disappointment. So anti-climactic. When I gave each of my son's their cards with the money in them, they opened them, and just kinda nodded and said, "Thanks, Mom." But there was such a disappointment. See, every year I do up their stockings so full and that's always been a tradition, and it's the first thing they go for under the tree on Christmas morning, even before they open up the first gift! And I spend months and months searching for stuff for their stockings. Well, I think we all learned our lessons. Next year, there will be loads of presents under the tree again! Anyway, thanks for writing and sharing your experience and cheering me up for my 50 too! :)

Remember that God loves you and so do I!
Michele

 
At 6:23 PM, Blogger Michele said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 6:20 PM, Blogger Lyz Spring said...

Hi, Michelle,
I'm so sorry you're canceled Christmas turned out to be such a bummer. But at least you learned what's important for you, and that's what you need to do! Everybody needs different things to feel good. We had a very low-key Christmas and it was wonderful. Very relaxing and enjoyable. So now at least you can get some good things for next year's stockings at all the after-Christmas sales going on now!
We live and learn, don't we?

I turn 50 in May, and I hope I can celebrate it. The only birthday I've had real trouble with so far was 35, for some reason. I'll be able to celebrate it better if I can get some weight off!
All the best,
Lizz

 

Post a Comment

<< Home