Friday, January 11, 2008

Antidepressants and BP Drugs

Hey, y'all--

I have to admit to something -- although I always try to be positive, I've been kinda on the down side of things ever since Christmas. I tried to explain it away as the Christmas blues, and y'all know why (cancelling Christmas, etc.), but now I'm thinking it's something else. I'm hoping maybe some of you have gone thru the same thing.

A month ago I was really depressed, and had been for a few weeks, so I figured I better take care of that real quick before it went into an episode, so I saw my psychiatrist, and he prescribed me Wellbutrin, which is an Antidepressant. Well, I have traditionally been against taking Antidepressants if you're on a Mood Stabilizer (which I am), because research is showing that it doesn't help -- that it "cancels out" the Mood Stabilizer, and can, in some cases, actually be harmful to you if you take them both.

So anyway, even tho I was against it, I decided to try it in case it might help. I just wanted to stop being depressed. And I knew I couldn't go on another Mood Stabilizer (insurance won't pay), so there wasn't really another option, and I didn't want to go up on my present meds because they're already so high, and I have a problem waking up in the morning.

Gosh, I feel like a pill machine! Well, I tried the Antidepressant for a whole month, figuring I can tell my psychiatrist I really gave it a good try. But I am here to tell you, it definitely DID NOT WORK! And I think, in fact, that I'm worse than I was before I took it. I am now a firm believer that you can't take Antidepressants if you're on a Mood Stabilizer if you have bipolar disorder.

So now I don't know what to do. I'm still fully functional, not quite made it to the run to bed, pull the covers over my head and hide from the world depressed yet. But definitely a little out of the norm depressed.

I don't know what other options I have. Any suggestions?

Remember that God loves you and so do I,
Michele

7 Comments:

At 7:48 AM, Blogger Ellen said...

Hi.

My psychiatrist once reminded me that what works for one person might not work for another. Perhaps Wellbutrin just isn't the antidepressant for you. It doesn't work for me alone, but in combination with Effexor, Risperdal, Lamictal, Buspar and Klonopin I'm doing far better than I was before they found that this little assortment would help me. Not quite "human" yet, but I'm willing to accept that in my case that may never be

 
At 8:08 AM, Blogger Michele said...

e--

Thanks for the encouragement. I've tried a couple of the meds that you're on. I call it a "sanity cocktail." I do understand that I have to be on several meds to be stable, and that it takes several tries to hit on the right mix -- this has been since 2003 now. And I've also tried several antidepressants. So I'm going to see my psychiatrist I think next week and see what he has to say (that's why he makes the big bucks!:))

I understand the "not quite "human" yet" comment, too. I still feel that way sometimes. At one point I thought, like you say, that it would never be, but now I do feel human sometimes (more than it used to be). Actually, now it's more often than not, so I guess that's good.

I guess it's like grief. It gets better with time. I hope you start to feel better soon.

Remember that God loves you and so do I!
Michele

 
At 2:44 PM, Blogger jensuey said...

Hi Michelle.
I just found your site and wanted to drop a line.
I have struggled with chronic depression for about 7 years and today opened up with a psych and counselor. This was my first "true" attempt at discussing my mental mess and it went fairly well.
The counselor was kind and thought provoking. He asked me "If you broke your arm would you go to the Dr. for treatment?" and of course, I said "yes". With that I spewed my realities at him in a teared garbled mess.
They used the broad spectrum bi-polar with borderline personality disorder. ;) I feel like I just won the mental lottery and ran a psych marathon all in one day.
Any advice? I appreciate you! Jen

 
At 3:48 AM, Blogger Jane B said...

Hey Michele
This post about bipolar and antidepressant drugs really worries me. I have used this combination for a few years and have had relapses, manias and depressions. Why don't the dr's know this? I've always worried that using antidepressants alone could cause a manic episode...really confused, but as I am in the worst depression of my life so far, and the worst financial and social mess as a result, really need to get the meds right.
Thanks for your blog. It's good to have you out there.
Janeb :-)

 
At 12:41 PM, Blogger Michele said...

Jen--

Thanks so much for sharing. Yes, I can definitely relate. I not only have BP, but I also have Borderline Personality Disorder -- you can read my personal story about it at bipolarcentral.com, click on articles/stories, then contributing writers, then Michele Soloway's Corner, and you'll find it there.

When I was first diagnosed with my disorders (yes, there are several), I felt like "alphabet soup"! I had so many, and they all have all these initials to them. But I started reading up on them immediately, to try to figure out what I was dealing with. I knew right away that just plain depression wasn't cutting it. I knew there was more to it, because the antidepressants weren't making me feel any better. It was only when I was finally diagnosed with the BP/BPD and placed on mood stabilizers that I finally started showing some improvement in my moods. Good thing, too, cuz I was about to drop off the planet by that time, I was so frustrated!

Things will get better for you. When you find a good psych and the right meds for you, you won't believe the difference!

Keep me posted, ok?

Remember God loves you and so do I!
Michele

 
At 12:59 PM, Blogger Michele said...

Janb--

Thanks for your post--but I am so sorry for the way you're feeling. I've been there, and I know how bad it can get.

re: the post, I have found that some doctors (like mine) know about the antidepressants and BP, but others don't, because they're not up on the research. But anyone can go online and research it themselves, just like I did. And you wouldn't believe all the stuff there is out there on this topic! I just can't believe that they ALL don't know.

The point is, tho, that WE can become informed consumers, and that you can go to your doctor with the information, like I did, and ask to be taken off the antidepressants if they're not working. Now, I'm not giving medical advice here, believe me -- I am NOT a doctor, and I wouldn't DARE to dispense medical advice without a degree. I"m only telling you what happened to me. And it's been 3 days now that I've been off the antidepressants and I can already feel a (small) lifting of my depression. I still feel that "tired, don't wanna get off the couch" feeling some, but it's a little better than it was. So, yes, I do blame that on the antidepressants.

I truly hope you feel better soon. Please keep writing and let me know how you're feeling?

Remember God loves you and so do I!
Michele

 
At 1:48 PM, Blogger Claire Sewell said...

For the past year I've used a mood stabiliser and an antidepressant and they work great together. It did take a lot of experimenting to find the right combination though. I love your blog btw, great stuff.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home