Monday, December 15, 2008

Holidays Shouldn't Overwhelm Your Bipolar Disorder

Hey, y'all --

I was just thinking how different I feel this year at this time than I felt last year at the same time, when I felt so overwhelmed and almost went into a bipolar depression.

This year is different, though. I don't feel so overwhelmed (thank God). For one thing, last year at this time, I had my middle son and his girlfriend living with us, so it was kind of crowded here. On the other hand, this year, I have my youngest son back living with us, so I don't know which is worse! :) But the point is, I'm not even letting my son (and his drama -- he's 19) overwhelm me this year.

We don't have to let the holidays overwhelm us with our bipolar disorder. We can stay calm and relatively stress free, at least as much as we are able. For one thing, like with my son, I don't let him get to me.

This is something you can do with your family members at gatherings. If you can't get away from that one family member who always annoys you at every gathering every year (you know the one I mean), first of all try to stay as far away from them as you can. But if they do seek you out, try to spend as little time with them as you can. Try to stay calm, be patient, and use every stress-relieving technique you know.

Deep-breathing helps, and can be done even without the other person knowing about it. If your hands are under the table, here's another technique you can use: Make fists with your hands (all the time keeping a smile on your lovely face! :)), hold for about 3-4 seconds tightly, then release. Do this as many times as you need to, until the stress has passed.

If the anxiety and stress become too much, excuse yourself and go to another part of the room, making the excuse that you have to "spread yourself around, and don't want to be rude to the other family members." That usually works, and the person won't feel offended. It's a polite way of saying "I've had enough of you." LOL (Works all the time with my husband's cousin, who drives us crazy at holiday time!!!)

If worse comes to worse at holiday gatherings, however, and you do feel that your bipolar disorder is getting out of control, make an excuse and leave the gathering altogether. Your own health and safety is the most important thing. Yes, being with family is important, but not worth an episode. You have to take care of yourself and your disorder first.

As far as shopping, if the stores and malls overwhelm you, do your shopping online. This way, you can stay home and, in the comfort of your own home, you can still get your shopping done and not have to deal with all those (real) crazies out there! LOL Seriously, holiday shopping is a real trigger to many people with bipolar disorder, and online shopping has been a godsend to them as far as keeping their stress at a manageable level.

Decorating your home should be a fun thing. Just don't go so far as to stress yourself out. Your home does NOT have to look like a "winter wonderland," just whatever you want it to be. You are not in competition with your neighbors here, you know. Decorating your home is just a reflection of how you feel about the holidays. It can also change the way you're feeling.

If you are feeling depressed, it can make you feel happier. If you are bored, it can give you something to do. If you haven't been very productive lately, it can give you a sense of accomplishment. But you do NOT have to go overboard! Just a few simple decorations, or a small tree with a few ornaments can put you in that Christmas spirit!

Whatever you choose to do, from visiting family to shopping to decorating your home, please don't let the holidays overwhelm you this year. Try to stay as stress-free as possible while still enjoying the spirit of the season.

Remember that the main thing is maintaining your stability.

Wishing you peace and stability,

Remember that God loves you and so do I,
Michele

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home