Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Sometimes I Feel Like I'm Alone with My Bipolar

Hey, y'all --

Do you ever feel like that? Like you and your bipolar disorder are off alone in your own little corner of the world and nobody knows, and even if they did, they wouldn't understand?

I was reminded of the expression the other day that "only an alcoholic can understand another alcoholic." Well, I think it's the same for us, too. Only someone with bipolar disorder can understand someone else with bipolar disorder.

Sometimes I think no one reads these ramblings of mine. I went back and read my posts from way back in 2005, where I had 45 posts in reply. Now I get 0. It gets discouraging, ya know? I feel so alone.

But I keep going, because the original intent (and still my heart's hope) is that if I can only help one person out there who is struggling with their bipolar disorder, then I've done some good.

And who am I to complain, anyway? Me, with the attitude and advice that, "No matter how bad you've got it, someone else has it worse"? Me, the originator of the ultimate positive attitude.

Well, I hate to say it, but I get down, too. I'm not perfect. Sometimes I feel pressured. Sometimes I wonder where this big S on my chest came from. And you know who put it there? I DID! Somewhere I got the idea that I could save the world of bipolar with my witty words and advice and personal experience that other people could relate to. But ya know what?

I'm no superwoman. And advice is just advice. Everyone has their own. All I can do is share my experience, strength, and hope with you and hope that something I say, something from my heart touches something in one of yours, and it helps you to get through one more day. Then I think I've done some good.

Because I remember when I was first diagnosed -- I felt so, so alone. I felt crazy. Really crazy. Bipolar disorder. Well, at least someone finally gave me a name for my insanity! In a funny way, it actually made me happy. But I still struggled so much. And it didn't take away my pain just to have a diagnosis, either. I still hurt so badly.

At that time, there wasn't a blog like this that I could go to where someone shared the ups and downs of living with bipolar disorder. So that's why I decided to start this one. So please tell me you're out there. Please tell me I'm not alone.

There are so many people struggling with this disorder. So many people who don't have others that care about them. Many don't even have supporters or family who can help them get through this, and I feel so sad for them.

I've checked out other blogs, and they're just like the person's diary. I don't like that (oh, gosh, is that a terrible thing to say?). I don't want to read about someone else's problems. I want to learn what to do about mine. I mean, I don't want to sound selfish or anything, but I've found out some things since I started this blog. I've learned some lessons along the way.

I've tried to pass them along to you. I've made mistakes, and I've tried to keep you from making them. I've learned what works and what doesn't work, and I've tried to teach you. I've tried to extend my hand and hoped that you'd extend yours in return.

I have the love of God to share, and hoped that you do, too. I miss that. I miss the sharing that we had back then.

I miss how people used to help other people on this blog. There was SO much of that, remember? I talked about it as a family, each person helping the other -- I just kind of stood on the sidelines a lot of the time. I mean, a family as big as 45 sometimes? That's a pretty big family!

But now I wonder where everyone's gone.

It's like my grown children. When my boys were little, I used to think, "I can't wait till they grow up." Well, now they're grown up and I hardly ever see them, and I miss them. I wish I could see them more. And I regret my words that I said when they were little. The time went so fast!

So...the moral of the story is... no witty words today. No preaching. No fancy comments. No wise words of advice.

Just words from my heart. I'm lonely here all by myself. I hope you're out there listening. And I wish you'd talk back. I wish you'd tell me how you're feeling. And some of the things you're dealing with. And if they're the same things I'm dealing with, too. Then maybe we can all talk about them again, like we used to.

Wishing you peace and stability,

Remember God loves you and so do I,
Michele

6 Comments:

At 10:05 PM, Blogger Bookworm said...

I'm a bipolar supporter, Michele, not bipolar myself, but I read your blog posts as soon as I see a new one come up. My husband doesn't see any sense in my reading about bipolar, and doesn't want to hear about ideas, suggestions, helpful articles (or blog posts, like yours) I've read. I don't share them with him any more, but I continue for myself. I appreciate your posts, they're kinda like getting supportive, loving emails from a far away friend. Please try not to get discouraged, & remember
God loves you, too!

 
At 5:22 AM, Blogger Michele said...

Thank you, bookworm, for your warm response. I'm glad you keep reading my posts for yourself -- hopefully, they help you understand your husband better and why he does the things he does.

Your job is so difficult, and I know it, because my husband has bipolar disorder as well. Sometimes it's hard for him to live with me!

I hope you do find my posts supportive and loving and as if they're coming from a friend, because that's how I mean them to be.

Don't be afraid of posting just because you're "only" a supporter. Your input is just as valuable as everyone else's.

I'm so glad you wrote. Your post was very encouraging to me.

Michele

 
At 1:19 PM, Blogger Keely said...

Hi Michele,
Just wanted to let you know I read (and re-read) all of your blog posts and they have been so helpful and encouraging. I feel like both your messages and David's have made a difference in my life already, and I believe they will help give me the courage to make some much needed changes soon. So, thank you! What you do here is important and much appreciated so don't get discouraged or give up.

 
At 7:33 AM, Blogger Michele said...

Keely --

Thank you so much for your post. It's important for me to know that I'm making a difference (I know that Dave is, he made a difference in mine).

I hope that doesn't sound conceited, it's not meant to be. It's just that I believe in our cause of helping other people with bipolar disorder so much.

It does take courage to make changes, but at least you're honest enough to admit that you need to make those changes. Too many people are still in denial that they even need to make changes at all! I respect you for that.

Please keep reading, and try to post more, ok? It's encouraging for me, as well as others who read the blog. I'm sure you can help others, too.

Michele

 
At 12:54 PM, Blogger MimiRos said...

I've just recently been diagnosed as Bipolar...not sure what to do with that knowledge yet. At least it puts a label on my feelings, not that it makes them any less crazy. I just found your blog through David Oliver's Bipolar Central website. My hope is that I can have time to read through some of your archived blogs and maybe not feel so alone in how I feel....thank you, keep blogging.

 
At 11:06 PM, Blogger Susan said...

Hello Michelle,

I just wanted to confirm that you are not alone! I had been diagnosed with Bipolar over ten years ago. I have only recently accepted the diagnosis in 2006 when I gave God my life. My life has never been better since God chose me!
Tonight I was looking for information for my school research paper and presentation that will be on Bipolar Disorder - when I came across your blog. Very inspiring! I recently watched a spritiual program on television where a woman with AIDS was disclosing her infirmity to help others.
I believe that God allowed me to see this program because he wants me to humble myself and expose my bipolar illness experience to reach out to others to let them know that they are not alone.
My presentation at school this upcoming Thursday will be my first opportunity for this as I had previously been pretty much concerned of how individuals would view me upon finding out about my diagnosis.
A part of my presentatation will mention many familiar individuals who are successful who live with bipolar disorder!
I am a single mom and would love to get married one day and it was encouraging to read that your husband too has bipolar. When I think of getting married one day I often forget about my diagnosis. I have prayed and I believe that whoever God has destined for me to marry will understand me and accept me for who I am - including my imperfections.
I am thankful to say that since 2006 I am living a balanced life and am on the medications that help to keep me this way (of course with the help and grace of God first and foremost)!
I know that this is only through the love and grace of God! I just want to help others to know that if God helped me - he can and will help them too!
Dave and Michelle stay encouraged and be Blessed! I will keep you both in my prayers!

In Christ,

Susan :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home