Saturday, October 11, 2008

Getting Back to Bipolar Basics - Affirmations

Hey, y'all --

Recently I was reminded that I've been stable for so long that I've forgotten where I came from, and that can be bad. Santayana, a great philosopher said, "Those who forget the past are condemned to repeat it." I sure don't want to repeat my mistakes, or it's back to the institution for me!

So, it's back to the basics...

One of the things that's helped me the most is positive affirmations.

I learned this lesson the hard way. Because of having the type of bipolar that I do, without medication I heard voices when I hallucinated. Oh, not the type that told me to kill myself or anything, but kind of "background voices" like you would hear in a restaurant while you're eating -- you don't know what they're saying, but you know they're there.

So I taught myself affirmations, like: "Michele, you're not really hearing these things. It's just the bipolar talking."

Other times, when I'd be really anxious and nervous, I'd say to myself, "I'm only feeling this way because of the bipolar. It'll pass."

Sometimes, when I'd feel really crazy, and afraid that I'd end up in the hospital again, I'd say, "You've been here before and made it through, and you'll make it through this time, too."

When it got really bad, I'd tell myself, "Michele, you're getting out of control. Get a grip. You can do it, I know you can. Practice the things you've learned." or, "Michele, you are NOT superman, you need help."

These are some of the kinds of affirmations I'm talking about. They've gotten me through some pretty tough times.

Affirmations are any positive statements you say to yourself that help you get through whatever situation you are facing at the time.

There are also positive affirmations you can say on a daily basis. I've done this saying them to myself in the mirror every day, especially when I was first diagnosed.

I'd say things like, "You have bipolar disorder, but you are still ok as a person. You are NOT your disorder."

Or, "Today is going to be a great day. I am not going to let anything upset me."

Or, "I am going to maintain my stability today. I am going to do my best to stay stress-free."

These are positive affirmations that really helped me. Now, I'm not saying that they worked perfectly every day. Again, like I said, I am not superman. And I'm not perfect (another thing I had to learn the hard way).

But I still use affirmations today, and they do help me to maintain my stability.

Wishing you peace and stability.

Remember God loves you and so do I,
Michele

2 Comments:

At 10:05 PM, Blogger Keely said...

Hi Michele,
Thanks for your response to my post yesterday. It was really helpful. The appointment I have coming up on Friday is with a psychiatrist. In the meantime I will follow your suggestions about finding a therapist and working on improving my sleep patterns diet and exercise. I think your topic today is great, too. I know that in just the short time that I've been trying to think more positively I can feel a difference. I hope to use positive affirmatios until they are automatic. Is that how it is for you now?
Thanks :)
Kat

 
At 1:00 PM, Blogger Michele said...

Hi, Katt!

It's so good to hear from you again. Why, you're getting to be a real regular around here now (2 times counts)!

I'm glad you liked today's post -- it was inspired by you. And yes, the affirmations, started all those years ago, are pretty automatic now. Not just for my bipolar disorder, but for all other areas of my life as well.

For example, I've always suffered from self-esteem issues, and they have really helped with that. Today, people see me as really self-confident, but it's the affirmations that have had a lot to do with it.

Keep practicing them, and they will come more easily to you. Especially the bipolar ones, as they will really help you to manage your disorder.

Good luck at your psych visit, and be sure and let me know how it goes!

Michele

 

Post a Comment

<< Home