Thursday, August 21, 2008

Being Sick When You Have Bipolar Disorder

Hey y'all --

Sorry I haven't written in a few days, but I've been sick.

It brought to mind something I wanted to talk to you about. It's hard to be sick when you've got bipolar disorder. I'll tell you why --

We are already on medication, some of us (like me) on a lot of medication, to keep us stable.

When we get sick, like I've been the past few days, we need to take other medication to make us feel better. Now, I just had some kind of bug or something, but I had to take some other meds besides my BP meds. I had to be real careful that they didn't interfere with my regular meds.

For example, I had to take a medication for my stomache. Luckily for me, I have a PRN (as needed) medication that my regular doctor prescribed for me, that I have on hand. So I was able to take that for my upset stomach. And another for my headache.

But I was worried when I wanted to take Nyquil for my stuffed up head, because it was over-the-counter and I wasn't sure how it would react with my other medication.

In cases like that, you need to call your doctor, psych, or at least check with your pharmacist.

The last thing you want is a bad reaction from combining medications that could cause you to have problems (instability) with your bipolar disorder.

Just wanted you to know.

Wishing you peace and stability,

Remember God loves you and so do I,
Michele

5 Comments:

At 11:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder if you'd like to take a look at what my husband Dave has done for his bipolar...

He's the man who changed his bipolar mind.

www.enjoyingyourhealth.com

Dianne Wandruff

 
At 12:04 PM, Blogger Michele said...

Dianne--
I did take a look at your site, and am happy that your husband is healthy; although I do disagree with your methods.

I advocate medication for people with bipolar disorder. I do believe that diet is a major part of stability for people with the disorder, and do follow a healthy one myself.

I believe that natural remedies can help IN ADDITION TO medication, but NOT INSTEAD OF medication.

Thank you for your post. I sincerely am happy that your husband seems stable.

Michele

 
At 6:05 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Hi Michelle,
your post hit home with all I have been going through this past week. I had the second surgical procedure today to break up the remaining stones and now it is just wait for them to pass on their own and hope they don't get stuck like the other one did. I see the doc in a week.
Yesterday the nurse called and went over my meds. She must not have been very informative on bipolar or bipolar meds. She actually told me to stop my meds altogether till after the surgery. I called my doc who was doing the procedure and he told me to not listen to her and he was going to have to talk to her. There was no reason to stop the bipolar meds only my diabetic meds. I tried telling her that I could not stop the BP meds period. It would send me headlong into a major episode if I did and unless the doc said to stop them I would not.
Every med they gave me I questioned. Is a habit from being diabetic but I did not want them interfering with my BP either. Myabe I am just over cautious. My doc said I wasn't that it was good that I questioed everything because sometimes they forget what else is going on with their patients and can make a mistake.
I really hope you are feeling better. I hate being sick and have been for so long now. Take it easy for a few more days and get lots of rest and push those fluids. Take care of you first. We will still be here when you get back to your old self.
Get well and Take care
Love
Melissa

 
At 11:20 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

When I first started the meds I didn't even think to ask what I could, or could not take. Until a major headache. Would Aleve react badly? That wasn't a problem, I was told.

But what about the Benadryl I needed to take for an allergic reaction to a new soap? (seriously sensitive skin, love it...) Not a problem either. But it is really scary being faced with needing to take something and not knowing what the reaction could be. I haven't had to worry about major meds, but I'll be sure to check about reactions before I take any!

Very grateful for knowledgable doctors and pharmacists!

 
At 7:11 AM, Blogger Michele said...

Michelle--
Thanks for the advice on the Benadryl. I was just having to question it myself, as I have allergies that are acting up, and I was afraid to take it because of my bipolar meds.

Thanks for helping me out on that one!

Hope you're feeling better!
Michele

 

Post a Comment

<< Home