Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Holidays are Hard for Some People w/BP

Hey, y'all --

I hope you had a good Labor Day. Unfortunately, I know that for some of you it was a difficult day.

For people with bipolar disorder, holidays and family gatherings can even be triggers to bipolar episodes. These types of things can be added stress on the person, which is the trigger to begin with.

Then, having to deal with difficult family relationships, noise levels, being somewhere you may not want to be (and/or for longer than you want to be there), events you may have to participate in, expectations of you that you're afraid you can't meet...

And all the other things involved in family gatherings at the holidays, do not fare well for someone with bipolar disorder.

So this year I decided to stay home. Yep. No family BBQ's or anything. My youngest spent the day with his friends. My middle son moved back up to NY, so he's not here. My oldest son spent the day with his girlfriend's family. So it was just my husband and me and our dog.

We had a wonderful, peaceful, non-stressful day. We rested. We spent time alone together. We watched some TV (later he watched Monday Night Football while I watched CSI in the other room). I did crossword puzzles while he read.

It was a wonderful day!

Now, you might not find it very exciting. But we both have bipolar disorder, and we have to manage it the way it works best for us. So since we don't do well at family gatherings (for the reasons I listed above), we thoroughly enjoyed our Labor Day at home this year.

I hope you had a good day, too.

Wishing you peace and stability.

Remember God loves you and so do I,
Michele

3 Comments:

At 3:36 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

I don't do well with family gatherings either so avoid the at all cost. Only go to funerals and only if I have too.
On another subject. My stones are finally gone. I got reall sick at the same time which is why I have not posted much. Seems all the stress with my mother, finances, and etc etc finally caused my uler to return with a vengence. My doc diagnosed it today. So back on the meds and this time she aint taking me off them ever.
One day I hope I learn to deal with stress better than holding it i and etting it eat a hole in my tummy. Second ulcer since January is two to many.

 
At 3:37 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Forgive my typos. my brain and fingers are not on the same page here.

 
At 8:35 AM, Blogger Michele said...

Hi, Melissa --

Glad you're back and glad you're feeling better.

You do need to keep your stress levels down. There is much information about that in every one of Dave's courses, as well as on the Internet. That will help you (keywords stress reduction techniques).

Hang in there!

God bless,
Michele

 

Post a Comment

<< Home