Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Humor and Bipolar Disorder

Hey, y'all --

I'm always reading material on stress management, and I came across something in a book that I wanted to share with you. Take a deep, gentle breath, relax...read this slowly and thoughtfully:

Picture yourself near a stream. Birds are softly chirping in the crisp, cool mountain air. Nothing can bother you here. No one knows this secret place. You are in total seclusion from that place called "the world." The soothing sound of a gentle waterfall fills the air with a cascade of serenity. The water is clear. You can easily make out the face of the person whose head you're holding under the water.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I totally cracked up when I read that last line! It got me good, I'll tell you!

Humor is so important when you've got bipolar disorder. To me, sometimes, if I don't laugh, I'll cry, you know?

But if we keep our sense of humor, it makes it easier to live with the tougher times that this disorder has us go through.

Wishing you peace and stability.

Remember God loves you and so do I,
Michele

3 Comments:

At 8:36 AM, Blogger BIPOLAR_FREAK said...

I know what you mean about needing to laugh. I wrote this story type of thing about some of my experiences with the disease, and I mention laughing at something that I know is not funny, but I have to laugh....and your words rang true on that. It's too easy to cry at the smallest thing, so I learned to make myself laugh to keep the tears at bay.

 
At 9:15 AM, Blogger Michele said...

Hi, bipolar freak, and welcome!

I'm glad someone agrees with me and realizes how much we need to laugh.

I know that sometimes when I laugh it seems inappropriate to other people, like when I posted that story, I thought some people might be offended, but it still made me laugh.

Michele

 
At 9:22 AM, Blogger BIPOLAR_FREAK said...

oh, trust me, i totally get it. they look at me like i've flipped a lid much of the time at the things i laugh at, but what else can we really do? we can get sad and cry? no thanks. i experience that enough with day to day life.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home