Sunday, September 07, 2008

Yard Sale Story

Hey, y'all --

This past weekend I spent 3 days having a yard sale (1 day setting up and 2 days running it), and I feel like I worked a "real" job! I am totally exhausted!

Of course, the yard sale was HUGE! I spent 2 months going thru my house to gather things together to sell at the yard sale (per my therapist's instructions), and had enough to have 3 loooong rows of tables full of stuff. I mean, we used tables, doors across tables to stretch between to make more room -- anything we could find!

My therapist told me that my house was too cluttered, and that was part of the reason I was so depressed (I think I told you about this) -- that just looking at everything was making me feel so overwhelmed that I couldn't do anything to unclutter it. I just couldn't clean my house at all! Which, of course, depressed me.

So she suggested having a yard sale, and taking one small area at a time. I was to go thru the one area, and take each piece, decide if I REALLY wanted to keep it, or if I could part with it. If I could part with it, I put a tag on it, and it went into the tub for the yard sale. And then I would go onto the next small area, until I'd gone thru the whole house. However long it took. (I told you it took me 2 months, a little at a time, so I was never overwhelmed.)

Once I had everything unpacked from ALL these tubs (there were around 10 of them!) and saw everything displayed, I just could not believe all this stuff came out of my little ole house!

But I tell you one thing, not one of those items was going back IN my house! I decided that once everything was packed up and my house was nice and neat and uncluttered. It's beautiful now, and I feel so peaceful inside. And no more depression, that's the main thing!

So, when the yard sale was over, instead of taking everything to the dump (and even tho we made our goal money-wise), or giving it to Goodwill, we donated it to a church rummage sale, which they're having next week.

We made more than enough money, and they still had to make 3 trips in a truck to take what was left over! I just can't get over how much stuff I pulled out of my house! That's how much of a pack rat I was.

Now things are so much simpler to keep track of, and my house doesn't look as "busy." It looks as calm and peaceful as I feel.

Anyway, that's my yard sale story.

Anybody else know what I mean?

Wishing you peace and stability.

Remember God loves you and so do I,
Michele

3 Comments:

At 9:39 AM, Blogger Bookworm said...

Hi, Michelle! I'm a supporter, not a survivor (well, maybe a survivor too, since I'm surviving supporting?!?). I don't have a really relevant comment on today's topic, just wanted to reach out to you & say thanks for what you do. It helps me remember there are others out there dealing with the same problems & I'm not alone, certainly not as alone as I feel sometimes. Again, thanks for your blog, your support & encouragement!

 
At 1:30 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

I am exactly the same way! It never ceases to amaze me how much better I feel after a good purge. Clutter IS depressing. There is probably some fancy pants reason for this, but all I know is that it is distracting and makes me feel down. Too many distractions make me stressed! So when it is gone, I can focus on the important stuff in my life.

Way to go freeing yourself of all those things. It is hard the first few times, but it gets easier the more you do it. You will learn to let go of the things that you don't need without regret. It's a good high!

 
At 4:32 AM, Blogger Michele said...

Hi, bookworm, and welcome!

Feel free to come here anytime for support and encouragement.

It'll help give you "the other side of the story." Also, any time you post about what's going on with you, you can get feedback about it. We'll try to help you out.

Also, there is a blog just for supporters that might help you. Just go to www.bipolarcentral.com.

Michele

 

Post a Comment

<< Home