Monday, October 13, 2008

Remember to Take Short Breaks

Hey, y'all --

Yesterday I was changing out my summer clothes to winter clothes, and got so caught up in it, that hours had passed before I realized that I hadn't taken a break.

Well, guess what?

I was exhausted, irritable, and needless to say, had it gone on much longer, my bipolar disorder would have suffered.

Now, I know this sounds like a small thing, but it's something you need to know.

When you're doing a big project, or even if you're working all day at a job, you need to take several short breaks. If you're working, you need to take more than the allotted 2 ten-minute breaks (it's important to your bipolar disorder, and I'm sure your boss will understand).

Otherwise, you will burn out. You will feel overwhelmed.

One time I tried to clean out my closet, and got so caught up in it without taking breaks that I burned out. I could NOT finish cleaning out my closet. Then I felt worse than I did before I started the project, because I hadn't completed what I started out to do.

When you feel overwhelmed, it can lead to depression, and you know that is one place you do NOT want to go when you have bipolar disorder.

So if something so easy to do as take short breaks can keep you from going there, why not do it?

Today, I still practice this. You would think it would be a disruption to my work, but it actually helps my work performance a great deal. I take a 10-minute break every 2 hours, and it keeps me from feeling overwhelmed. I actually get MORE work done, believe it or not!

I wish you peace and stability,

Remember God loves you and so do I,
Michele

5 Comments:

At 6:36 PM, Blogger Michelle-Ann said...

Hi Michelle, I just found your blog while I was looking for a few topics related to bipolar, anxiety, and triggers. I have recently been diagnosed with bipolar 2. It has been hard, perhaps harder than it was before I knew what was wrong. I think my expectations of everything being all better now that we knew what we were treating.

I so understand the overwhelmed feeling about housework. I get so overwhelmed about it, wanting it to look all perfect, but when it is not, it just makes me sooo mad and irritable. I cannot seem to get them to understand that I am not just being ill mommmy/wife, but this really sets me off.

Sorry, this seems to be rambling on...glad I found your blog.

 
At 6:56 AM, Blogger Michele said...

Michelle-Ann --

I'm so glad you've joined us!

I think I may have accidentally deleted your comment. If I did, I am so very sorry. I don't know how it happened. If I did, please post it again, so other people can be helped by it.

Anyway, I still have the problem with housework sometimes. I am still very much the perfectionist. My therapist says it's the OCD combined with the bipolar. Lots of fun, right?

But one thing I've learned is to not make other people live up to my expectations. And that was hard, believe me! It involves a lot of tolerance, and keeping my mouth shut and my attitude under control.

Anyway, I hope you'll post again and keep coming back.

Michele

 
At 5:22 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Hi Michele,
Glad you are back. Things here have been hectic to say the least. Just got my internet working again so will have to catch up on your posts. Wanted to drop you a few lines so you knew I was still around. I got a job and am working the graveyard shift at the local convenience store. I have been there for two going on three weeks now. It is going pretty well except I work with alot of lazy people who think they don't have to do anything. Such is life I guess. My back is holding up pretty good for the moment. My BP seems to be pretty stable on the seroguel, paxil, trazadone combination they have me on. I see the Pdoc Friday. He might up the seroguel then. That should finish stabilizing me.
Other than that things are going okay. Hubby is now working two full time jobs and we barely see each other. When we do we are both sleeping. My friend who moved in with us is working also. Between all our checks we are slowly getting caught up on our bills and can hopefully start to pay off some of the medical bills that are piling up on us.
Will sit down and read your posts tomorrow morning when I get home from work. Going to go lay back down for a few hours right now.
Love
Melissa

 
At 5:48 PM, Blogger Michelle-Ann said...

Hi Michele, thanks for responding back to me. Sometimes, okay, most of the time I feel really alone in this journey. If you ever have time, please check my blog out, I sent you an invitation to "The Dark Side, the side I am not proud of" I keep it private, for now anyway...this is all too new for me to share with some, aka family!

 
At 4:22 AM, Blogger Michele said...

Hey, Michelle!

Welcome back yourself! Glad to hear from you, more glad to hear you're getting more and more stable every day. Remember how things were in the beginning? Compare them to how you are now. Handling a job and everything! Just remember to take care of yourself first, and don't let the job overwhelm you.

Keep it up, girl! I'm so proud of you!

Michele

 

Post a Comment

<< Home