Thursday, October 16, 2008

Don't Let Your Bipolar Disorder Overwhelm You

Hey, y'all --

Well, I've got some good news and some bad news.

I just got the results of an MRI on my neck today and found out I've got bone spurs and decreased spinal fluid on my C-spine and discs. What does that mean? It means it explains the pain I've been having in my arm for 4 months, to begin with. It also means possible surgery, altho we're trying a few other things first.

Now, my first reaction was panic. But I practiced what I preach, and I started self-affirmations and calmed down right away. (Like, "They're not saying you have to have surgery right now. You can worry about that later. And it isn't life-threatening.")

Then I started thinking positive. If these other things work, I will be out of pain. So I'm believing that these other things will work. I don't mind the physical therapy. The steriod shot in my neck I'm not too crazy about, because I had one before, and it didn't go too well. But, again, I can choose to be negative or positive, and I'm choosing to be positive. Just because the other one wasn't the greatest of experiences, doesn't mean this one won't be a good one.

The good news is, I do have a choice. I can let things overwhelm me, or I can choose not to let them overwhelm me. Like my bipolar disorder.

One of the reasons I'm stable is that I don't let my bipolar overwhelm me any more. Oh, it used to. But then I learned ways not to let it. Medication played a big part in my stability. But so did stress reduction and relaxation techniques, affirmations, and a positive attitude.

You have choices, just as you saw me illustrate above. You can choose to let things overwhelm you or not. You can let your bipolar disorder overwhelm you and control you or you can take control over it.

You CAN learn to manage your disorder!

Just like I WILL gain control over this pain. I WILL do the things necessary to gain control over what's causing it. Even if it means eventually having an operation. I will accept that if it becomes necessary.

Wishing you peace and stability,

Remember God loves you and so do I,
Michele

2 Comments:

At 12:11 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

How true! Stress is one of my main triggers, and anything I can't control usually causes me stress. I am slowly learning that I can decided for myself whether to stress or not. It's hard sometimes, because years of doing it the other way has to be overridden, but I don't want this disorder to control me. That way I am in charge of myself, even if I have no control over a situation.

Glad you finally have some answers, and sorry that yu may need surgery. You are right though, whatever it takes, but take it one thing at a time. We are facing this with our 4 year old. We finally got some answers as to why he can't speak right, surgery is the only thing we can do, and it has to be done as soon as possible. We just take one step, one test, one evaluation at a time. I can't control what has to happen, but I can decide how I will react.

Good luck with everything, and I hope the shot works better this time!

 
At 5:30 AM, Blogger Michele said...

Michelle --

You do have the concept right -- control what you can, and let the rest go.

Remember the Serenity Prayer:

God grant me the serenity
To accept the things I cannot change
The courage to change the things I can
And the wisdom to know the difference.

That's one of the greatest affirmations of all, and if you say that during your stress times, it will help you to override your years of stressing over things you couldn't control.

Good luck with your son. You certainly have the right attitude about it. I had to go through a similar situation with one of my sons when he was 18 months old, only it was his hearing. He came through ok, but it was still hard as a mom to feel so helpless.

Michele

 

Post a Comment

<< Home