Friday, October 24, 2008

Bipolar? No Matter How Bad You've Got It...

Hey, y'all --

My husband had to have surgery the other day, and what was supposed to be a simple, same-day surgery ended up with complications and he had to stay overnight so, of course, I stayed with him.

I worried and, needless to say, it was hard to watch him in that much pain, so a couple of times I just had to take a break, going to the gift shop or the cafeteria, or whatever.

While I was in the surgery waiting room and on breaks, I overheard other conversations and I felt guilty, because some of these people really had it rough.

I talked to one woman who had cancer herself, yet was there waiting on her 21-year-old daughter to have surgery on a growth they had found in a really bad spot in her body.

There was another woman whose husband had had a stroke, and they didn't even know if he would be able to walk again.

It just made me so sad. So much pain and hurt there.

I felt guilty that I was so selfish, so concerned for myself, my husband, and our own situation, that I had lost sight of the fact that no matter how bad we've got it, there are always other people out there who've got it worse.

I'm not discounting the fact that bipolar is bad enough to live with, but if that's the worst thing we've got, then we can deal with that.

This whole experience helped me get things in perspective.

Wishing you peace and stability,

Remember God loves you and so do I,
Michele

2 Comments:

At 1:39 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

So true. It seems to me that every time I think I have something to complain about, I hear about or see someone who has real problems. Then I just feel grateful that my "problem" is one that I can deal with.

Like being bipolar. Yes, it was a shock, the actual diagnosis confirming my fear. The having to go on medication for the rest of my life. The risks in pregnancy should I choose to do so again and all the hassle with coordinating with doctors on top of the gestational diabetes I always get.

But at least I don't have a more serious condition like schizophrenia (sp?). And at least there is medication that can help, I can live a normal life and don't need tons of intervention. And at least I can get pregnant, where some of my friends can't.

I think I can live with my teeny tiny bipolar thing... :-)

 
At 7:11 AM, Blogger Michele said...

Michelle--

So true indeed. I went to the grocery store yesterday, and at the checkout, the bagger lady was telling the clerk that her son had an inoperable brain tumor and was saying his goodbyes to all his family.

Yes, I too can deal with my "teeny tiny bipolar thing" after that.

(Think God is trying to tell me something with all these "coincidental run-ins" with people worse off than me?)

Michele

 

Post a Comment

<< Home