Thursday, October 30, 2008

What to do When Everything is Going Right

Hey, y'all -

I was reminded the other day of a topic I'd brought up at an AA mtg a couple years ago: "What do you do when everything is going RIGHT in your life?"

I kinda felt at that time that the answer was, "You wait for the other shoe to fall."

That reflected my negative attitude at the time.

But now my answer is, "You count your blessings."

Let me ask you -- When was your last episode?

If it's been a while, then count your blessings.

With bipolar disorder, it's not IF we're going to have another episode, but WHEN (and how severe).

If we don't believe that, we can get complacent, and that episode will sneak up on us when we're not ready for it. We'll stop watching for signs and symptoms, and not be able to catch the episode before it happens, or at least catch it while it's still a "mini-episode" and before it turns into a full-blown episode.

I'm not saying to be so vigilant to the exclusion of everything else in your life by any means (or else the bipolar will have control over your life instead of the other way around, which is what you don't want), but just to be aware.

And I'm not saying to "wait until the other shoe drops" when things are going right.

Just enjoy when things are going right. Count your blessings when things are going right.

But be aware that things can change at any time, and be prepared.

Wishing you peace and stability,

Remember that God loves you and so do I,
Michele

1 Comments:

At 7:51 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

hi i'm jessica greer,18 and have bi polar and borderline.
i just wanted to thank you for all that you do, i'm so thankful i happened to come across your website!
its so hard to find information on bipolar that isn't just symptoms and not put in simple terms rather than the confusing dr language!
my main pet peeve is how they tell you everything wrong and bad about having bi polar but hardly anything on how to handle and cope with it!
its so difficult because almost everything is based on older adults not high school seniors fixing to graduate!!!
i'll get off my soap box! =)
oh and i was wondering if you have any advice of resources for me,,,,,
i am a senior and attending classes at vo-tech for nursing.. i already have my cna license
my goal is to be a rn in psychiatry.. i deceided to stop complaining about the poor quality of mental health servieces and decided to take action!
i didn't know if you had any advice of colleges financal aide... anything would be much appreciated!
p.s

i really admire everything you do, you are my hero. mental illness is such a taboo subject most def in high school! i just wanted to say thank you for being brave enough to fight the stigma and say the things that doctors should be telling us. thanks bunches!!!

jessica

 

Post a Comment

<< Home