Monday, December 08, 2008

Don't Overreact Just Because You Don't Feel Well

Hey, y'all --

I'm sick today. Actually, I've been sick for two days now. My throat burns, I've had that kind of croupy cough, I feel like sleeping all the time, and my head feels like it's in a deep fog. Like I said, I'm sick. And I feel depressed, because I can't do any of my usual things, like work or do anything around the house. I feel useless.

But I am NOT in an episode.

Just because you don't feel well, you shouldn't overreact and assume you're in an episode. It's ok not to feel well. Even if you're depressed because of it, it doesn't necessarily mean you're in a bipolar depressive episode. Even if it goes on for a day or two.

I mean, if you've got more than just "cold" symptoms, and you've got more of the signs and symptoms of an actual episode, you might want to look at the fact that maybe you might be going into an episode, I'm not discounting that, don't get me wrong.

But, like, in my case, I know I'm just "regular" sick, and thinking I'm going into an episode at this point would be an overreaction on my part.

It's ok to be sick, and not to be in an episode. People without bipolar disorder get sick, too! Now I'm kicking myself because I didn't get my flu shot. So I made an appointment for one for after this "bug" is over.

One thing we have to do is watch our health. That's an important part of managing our disorder. If our body runs down, we do take the chance of going into an episode, because it can cause all kinds of havoc with our emotions and all. But we have to balance that, like in my case, with the reality of how sick we are -- whether it is "emotional" sick or just "physical" sick, as in just a cold.

For example, too much stress can lead to headaches, stomach aches, and the like, and these are all physical ailments that come from not taking care of your bipolar disorder. And these are real physical things that you should be managing on your own before they get out of hand, because they can lead to episodes if you don't.

But for me, today, I'm just sick. So if I've rambled, forgive me. It's this fog I'm trying to type through. :)

Anyway, I hope you're all healthy and doing well.

I wish you peace and stability,

Remember God loves you and so do I,
Michele

2 Comments:

At 7:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Recently I have reflected on stressful situations that are occurring in my life. At first I was feeling really overwhelmed and alone. Then I remembered a book that I read last year at the request of my wise husband, Michael. It said that within every bad situation is a gift. So, I decided that my gifts in this are that I have the opportunity to become more resourceful; to hone my skills at work; and the opportunity to learn to rely more on the One who gives me breath.
The other night I dreamed that I would die in 5 months. And while there were many ways I could interpret this dream, I didn't take the obvious one that this was in fact a prophecy. Instead last night when I couldn't sleep, I reflected on how I would treat other people if I knew that I only had a few more months on this earth. I believe I would be more forgiving; I would make sure that everyone that is close to me knew how very much I love them and how I appreciate the impact that they have had on my life. I reflected on how other people might treat me. Perhaps their reaction would be the same to me. So, why don't I do that everyday - as the song says "Live Like I was Dying"? What is the variable? I believe it is certainty. With certainty, we react differently than we do when things are uncertain. Our plans are clearer. Our acts, more deliberate and intentional. With uncertainty I become a variety of things - anxious, overwhelmed, complacent and take things for granted. But with uncertainty, I am given great opportunities. The opportunity to learn and improve my situation. To change me in order to survive and thrive. The One from above can provide strength, comfort and energy if in these times I recognize the gift. We are really like 3 year olds. There are certain things that are just on a need to know basis with kids. Thank God that I don't have complete certainty all the time. Then I would know the fullness of tragedy and hurt deeply. I would become lazy and unmotivated to change, improve, love and appreciate. So the gift today in all of this is uncertainty. Certainty can bring a sense of peace, but it is synthetic and transient peace. It is not organic and authentic nor long-lasting. True peace for me comes from a surrender to a power greater than I. In this season of doubt, fear and incredible uncertainty, praise the gift.

 
At 8:04 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Great comments and post. Great site.

Larry www.hopeworkscommunity.wordpress.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home