Monday, January 01, 2007

Happy New Year!

Hey, y'all!

Well, it's New Year's Day, and I took my first pill of my Chantix prescription, as I promised myself and my husband, doctor, and everyone else I would quit smoking. I tried to get out of it, tried to make the new quit date Jan. 15th, when it came Quit Date and I didn't want to quit. I hate that! That's why I quit making New Year's resolutions years ago! Then I would always say I don't make them, because I always blow them, ya know? But Bill (my husband) went to take his pill this morning, so I guess I had to take mine (nothing like pressure, eh?). We decided if we were going to do this, the best bet would be to do it together.

Bill said he was going to keep thinking about the new living room suite we want. The thing is going to cost $1200. We figured we're spending $60/wk. on cigarettes between the two of us, and that's for the next to cheapest cigarettes! So that's $240/mo. That's $240 we've got much better things to spend on. It's actually almost my car payment! So, thinking that way, I guess that's a pretty good incentive to quit smoking. So I guess I'll try to keep the new living room suite in mind as well.

Well, here's to a great new year! Hope y'all have a good one.
Remember that God loves you, and so do I!
Love, Michele

2 Comments:

At 8:54 PM, Blogger Barb Harburg said...

Thank you for sharing with us your ups and downs of bi-polar. My 16year old son has BP and still is not on the right medications. He is 80-90 per cent of the time depressed. Do you have any suggestions for how to get him on the right meds? The doctor thinks he is just fine but he does not live with him!
God bless you!

 
At 8:36 AM, Blogger Michele said...

Hi, Barb--

My son just turned 17 on Dec. 1st, and I had him diagnosed with BP when he was 12, so I can relate. It's hard for any of us when we're not on the right meds, but especially for a Mom of a teen with BP -- not only are we dealing with the normal ups and downs of adolescence, but also the downs of BP. As far as suggestions of getting him on the right meds, I had to be my son's advocate with his psychiatrist. It sounds like you will have to as well. The problem with his being 16 is that at that age, he has to sign a Medical Release of Information for you to even be able to talk to his psychiatrist and therapist, so be sure he does that. Is he seeing a therapist? He/she can also be an advocate with your son's psychiatrist. Also, is your son telling his psychiatrist that the meds are not doing the job? He doesn't have to wait until his next appointment, either--he can call his psych's nurse and tell her, and the meds can be adjusted. The dosage of his current meds can be adjusted by phone.

If your son's current meds are not doing the job, the first thing to try is to increase the dosage of them. If that doesn't work, he will need to try another medication. For that, he will need an in-office visit. Is he seeing a psychiatrist, or just a doctor? You said, "the doctor thinks he is just find," is that just a doctor, or a psychiatrist? Your son should be seeing a psych, as a psych will be more familiar with BP symptoms and diagnosis.

Has your son been formally diagnosed with BP? What meds is he on? Are they BP meds?

I hope I have been helpful. I am by no means a doctor or an expert, but I have been thru it. Let me know how it goes.

Michele

 

Post a Comment

<< Home