Sunday, March 11, 2007

People fighting over opinions?

Hey, y'all--

I just came back from reading Dave's blog, and I'm not sure how I feel. I mean, I do believe that everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but it's like these people are actually fighting over theirs! One thing I've had to learn in becoming a high-functioning person with Bipolar Disorder is to keep my stress level as low as I can, so that I can be as stable as I can, for as long a period as I can. I mean, for me at least, that's the name of the game. That means taking my medication, seeing my psychiatrist and therapist on a regular basis, exercising regularly, eating a healthy diet, etc., etc.

I used to fight with people alot. I used to think my opinion was the only opinion that counted, actually! I thought *I* had to be right. And if I was right, then it only followed that YOU had to be wrong! I mean, I'm not exactly a "Peace to all the Earth" type person now, but I at least believe that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and I don't appreciate someone throwing their opinion down my throat. Especially on a BP blog, where people should at least be treating each other with respect -- I mean, after all, we are not children here. Why is it so important that if I am right, you have to be wrong?

It reminds me of something I heard at an AA meeting (I'm not sure if I've shared this before or not, but it bears repeating). If I'm sitting on this side of the table, and you're sitting on that side of the table, and there is a big crystal hanging down from the ceiling between us, what color is the crystal? Now, I might say the color is red. And I would be telling the truth. But you might say the color is green. And you would be telling the truth as well, wouldn't you? The truth as WE see it! So, can there be more than one truth? I usually say, "There is your truth and my truth, and the real truth somewhere in between."

But the point is, do we have to fight about it? Isn't there enough room for each of us to believe in our own truth? What does it hurt me to "allow" you to have your own opinion? Can't I go to sleep at night peacefully, believing my own truth, letting you believe yours as well? It really bothered me that these people were actually fighting over their opinions!

Ok, I've said my peace. With that done, may we all enjoy our own opinions without forcing them on other people. Remember the old expression, "Keep the Peace?" How about, "Keep the Stress Down!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home