Monday, March 02, 2009

Can't Get Too Excited with Bipolar Disorder

Hey, y'all --

I am so excited today! I'm going to Nashville for the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) to speak with my State Representative and Senator about mental health issues (i.e., "Don't cut off our funding!").

But I'm reminded (by the butterflies in my stomach) that those of us with bipolar disorder have to watch it when we get excited. What I mean is that we can't get TOO excited, or we may trigger ourselves over that oh-so-fragile bridge to mania.

And I can't afford to be manic. I do stupid things, like go shopping. And more shopping. Too much shopping. :)

And stay up way too late for me. I guess that's the first sign that I'm manic. My sleep schedule changes. In spite of having nighttime medication that should put me to sleep, in a manic state, my mind won't shut off (rambling thoughts), so my body won't shut off, either. And there you go. I'm off and running... manic again.

I'm not saying I'm manic now, by any means. Rollercoaster or not.

I'm just saying that I have to watch myself very carefully in situations like this when I get nervous energy and get excited, that I DON'T get manicky, that's all.

But we all need to watch our signs and symptoms, so I know I'm preaching to the choir here.

Well, I'm excited anyway, and about to leave. Just wanted to drop y'all a quick note. I'll let you know what happens.

Wishing you peace and stability,

Remember that God loves you and so do I,
Michele

5 Comments:

At 5:15 AM, Blogger Sheena said...

I'm glad to have found your blog. I have a Bipolar Husband. I started a blog as a way to get my emotions out.
I adore my husband, but it is not always easy. He stays manic most of the time. He doesn't really share with me how he feels. I want to know how he feels so I can help him better. It's all really confusing sometimes.
Anyway, thanks for sharing your life.
Take care

 
At 7:52 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

I've been lucky enough to avoid a manic state since going off meds, but that's probably because I am too exhausted to get all hyper and manic. Depressed shopping though.... that's a different story. :-) We are holding off until the 2nd trimester and then we are looking at putting me on Wellbutrin until I am done nursing. I've been doing alright, but I would like to be doing great. Good luck at the conference thing!

 
At 9:25 AM, Blogger CindyJ said...

Can't wait to hear how the conference was.

 
At 9:46 AM, Blogger DRO said...

Do you think, when medicated and stable, that merely being excited or anxious about an upcoming event can truly trigger a manic episode? I get excited often- about hearing a great concert, getting together with fun friends, or the prospect of playing a good gig. Luckily I can't say that any of these things have triggered a manic phase for me. I am currently thoroughly medicated though and I don't know your situation. I don't doubt excitement would trigger a serious mania if I were to not be on mood stabilizers and antidepressants, but if that were the case I don't think it would take anything to trigger mania and depression- they would just slide right back into my brain, my neural pathways, my life.
Have a great time at the conference!

 
At 9:41 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I've recently gone thru a med change and I can say that I do get manic every time I get overly excited -- too much stimulation. I'm hoping it's just because I'm still getting the meds built up in my system. Both my husband and me are bipolar, but he tends to have more depressions and I have more manias, so it's a bit different ordeal. I don't like depressions, but the manias cause just too much havoc in my life, too. I'm even considering a career change from my deadline-driven communications business to something hopefully more calming like counseling or education.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home