Monday, January 12, 2009

Don't Get Overwhelmed By Others

Hey, y'all --

Well, I have to tell you -- life being a person with bipolar disorder can get pretty complicated sometimes. Whether it gets complicated for us, or whether we make it complicated for ourselves, I'm not sure.

But today just feels like one of those complicated days. Like everything is going wrong. Not necessarily in my life, but in everyone's around me.

I hate to sound so cold, but here's the deal. I have enough problems of my own without worrying about everyone else's. But here's the problem. I DO worry about everyone else's, because I care so much about everyone else. Maybe too much, I don't know.

Sometimes I think I worry about their problems more than my own. Too busy playing Superwoman, too busy trying to be strong for everyone else.

So much of that that I drove myself into a state of exhaustion and ended up in the ER last week. I just can't keep doing this, but I just can't help myself, either.

The thing is, tho, that I do know it isn't good for my bipolar disorder, so something has to change.

There are things that overwhelm us just naturally by our bipolar alone. Then there are things that just overwhelm us by life, just like people who don't even have the disorder. And like I said earlier, things that come upon us, and things we bring upon ourselves.

But if we are going to stay stable, we have to take control over the things that overwhelm us, or they are definitely going to take control over us.

Like take for instance my best friends. Something terrible is happening in their lives right now of a physical nature. My heart absolutely bleeds for them. But I am helpless to do anything about it but to pray for them and to be there if they need a friend to talk to or a shoulder to cry on. Not that I'm saying that prayer is a small thing -- it certainly is not. I've seen miracles happen (and I'm praying for one in this instance).

But I've been so heartbroken over this, cried off and on about it all morning, and for what? Over something I can do absolutely nothing about. I practically made myself sick over it. And do you think my friends would want that? No, they wouldn't. They would want me taking care of myself, not stressing myself out, and taking care of my bipolar disorder so that I stay stable, and not get overwhelmed on their account.

There are things we can control, and then there are things over which we have absolutely no control whatsoever. Those are the things we have to turn over to God and trust the outcome to Him.

We can care about our friends and family. We can care about their problems. But we can't hurt TOO much for them, or that will overwhelm us to the point that our own stability is in jeopardy.

And they wouldn't want that for us, any more than we should want that for ourselves.

So I told my friend that I'm there for her, and that I would pray for them. Then I talked to my husband (my supporter) about the situation which was upsetting me horribly. I cried like a baby. But my husband told me to "let it go," because I couldn't do anything about it.

Now, I'm a stubborn woman. (Aren't many of us with bipolar disorder?) I held onto it for a little while longer. But eventually I realized that what my husband said was true and for my benefit, and because he loves me, and also because he has bipolar himself.

I had to let it go. There's nothing I can do. Because if I didn't let it go, it would hurt me and my stability. And these things always have a way of working themselves out without our interference anyway.

Anyway, I wish you peace and stability,

Remember God loves you and so do I,
Michele

5 Comments:

At 8:40 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

I don't know how you do it, but you always seem to post about stuff that is relavent to me at the time! I have an extremely needy friend, whom I love dearly, but I am having to sit back and tell myself to just be the listening ear instead of trying to fix everything. Because that just stresses me out, and doesn't really help her help herself!

Glad you are feeling better now, and take care of yourself!

I am fairly happy with myself right now. I am through my first cycle trying for that baby, didn't work but that's okay. I didn't really get all hormonal and cranky, but I think I have been mildly depressed the last few day. Mostly just "that time..." But I could have been far worse, and I am doing a good job keeping my stresses low for right now. Thanks for being here!

 
At 8:41 AM, Blogger Michele said...

Michelle --
You are the one who always says the right things to make me feel better. It makes me feel so good to know that what I say helps other people, because that's what this blog is for. I'm sorry to hear about your friend, but you are handling it so well. I always seem to want to fix everything and everybody, and it's always my own downfall. That's one of the things I'm working on with my therapist right now. I just can't do that anymore, because it affects my bipolar disorder. I'm so glad you're not letting it affect yours, because it will help you stay stable.

I'm so sorry to hear about your depression. It seems so trite to say that that just comes with the territory when you have bipolar, but you do know that it's true. But, again, like always, you're handling it with a good attitude. I feel like a teacher does with her prized pupil (you get a gold star for that one, honey)!

Sorry the baby thing didn't work out, but I know you'll keep working at it. All things in God's timing, not ours. Remember that, and maybe it'll give you some hope.

Good to hear from you. Keep posting, and keep those stresses low - you're doing a great job!

Blessings,
Michele

 
At 11:05 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

I agree with Michelle you do seem to post about things that are also an issue for me at that time. I also have a friend with alot of problems and issues. 99% of them are her own doing. I have had to learn to not answer or return phone calls in order to keep myself safe. I thank God alot for caller ID it is a life saver for me. I have presently been ignoring her calls since the day before Christmas when she called asking me what ashes look like. I am in my difficult months and do not want to have an episode and I know that she is a stresser for me. I hate doing that cuz she is very dear to me but I can not ignore my bipolar for her anymore. I like being stable.
I thank you Michele for being there, for writing about things that are relevant for us and at times we may not know that that is a problem for us also, and for being our friend. You are an awesome child of God and I am thankful that you were born.
May God continue to bless your life.
Melissa

 
At 9:01 AM, Blogger Michele said...

Melissa --
I know it was a difficult thing to go thru with your girlfriend, but look at all the things you did right:

You said you learned not to answer her calls to keep yourself safe. Many people with bipolar disorder don't realize how important it is to worry about their own safety first.

You acknowledge that you're in your difficult months, know that she is a stresser for you and that you don't want to go into a bipolar episode. That shows a lot of insight, Melissa.

You stated, "I cannot ignore my bipolar for her anymore. I like being stable." You realized that your stability is worth more than a toxic friendship that could jeopardize your stabililty. And you see now that you LIKE being stable! Remember when you struggled with your stability?

Now, with all that said, look how far you've come. You said it all yourself. Read what you wrote for yourself. You are stable, you worked hard for that stability, and you're working hard to keep it.

Good for you, girl! I'm proud of you. Keep up the good work!

Blessings,
Michele

 
At 1:21 PM, Blogger Sunshine4Shadows said...

Wow, at least they figured out what had happened and that you were missing that last med! I'm glad u feel better.
God Bless.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home