Tuesday, November 15, 2005

ECT: 3 down, 3 to go

Well, I'm halfway through my course of ECT, and thought I'd report on my progress. After the first session, I felt great! Not even any memory loss. And the depression had abated. However, it came back. As did migraines. But I have to keep believing that this will help me--I just couldn't stand being that depressed all the time anymore. I've had 3 sessions, and I have 3 more to go. I have had some problems with memory, but not as much as I thought I would. Mostly just having problems keeping straight what day of the week it is. I feel like I'm in a sort of limbo... not quite as depressed as I was, but not as happy as I'd wish I could be. After the last two treatments, I didn't even know I'd already had them! I thought I was still waiting to be taken in, but it was already over with! I had no memory of them putting me to sleep, or taking me down, or anything. Just waking up and being told it was time to go home. The biggest change I can tell is that I've stopped crying (I was crying all the time before the treatments).

My doctor is very optimistic, says I'm doing well. I've just been a little confused about what day of the week it is, little things like that. But ECT is definitely not as bad as I thought it would be. Just maybe I'm hoping for a quicker response. Maybe I expect too much, I don't know. I'll have my 4th treatment tomorrow morning, and maybe I'll know better then. Anything is better than the way I was feeling before--I just couldn't stop crying then. At least that has stopped. And I'll be done before the holidays, so hopefully I'll be able to enjoy the holidays.

I'll keep you posted!
Michele

2 Comments:

At 6:00 PM, Blogger Bill said...

Hang in there... You are very brave to do this and help others along the way... Nothing good happens fast so believe, and it will happen.

I saw in a movie one time where the guy said "I just can't get this behind me" and he lost his life...

You have a chance to "get it behind you" and live a great life and get what you deserve.... You can have it all, all you have to do is believe..... It's written inside my wedding ring by someone special that I know would believe you could do it..... and knows you will...

 
At 1:47 PM, Blogger Nicole said...

I've recently read good things on ECT. Good luck and thank you for sharing your experience with us. You are the reason I've started my blogs, to share my experience with bipolar.

:* Princess

 

Post a Comment

<< Home