Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Even on the Worst Day...

Hey, y'all--
Please forgive me for not posting for so long. I really have no excuse but busy. But even that is no excuse, and I promise I will do better. I've been reading alot lately. Next to yard sales, it's my favorite thing to do. Really! I guess because before I was stabilized on medication I could never concentrate, was off the walls all the time, could never stay in one place for long, could never finish a project, and could definitely NOT read a book. If I did attempt it, I would find myself reading the same paragraph over and over, because I would notice that my mind had drifted (again). It was so frustrating! I hated that I wasn't able to read for so long. I mean, it was bad enough that the bipolar kicked my butt so bad in all the other areas of my life, and for so long, ya know? I think we all went thru that (or are going thru that right now).

I think the worst thing is the damaged relationships, don't you? Or at least that's tied for number one, right up there with the loss of your sanity! I used to kid around and say to people, "I've lost my mind. If you find it, please return it to me, as I've grown very fond of it, and would appreciate its return." I really did say that! And say it with a smile, I did. It took some of the sting out. But people still looked at me like I was crazy (which I was), trying to figure out if I was serious or not (which I was). Well, maybe I was only half-serious. But things sure were crazy for a while, back there in the beginning. So when I had to go thru the medication merry-go-round for two years, I hated having to give up, or struggle with, those things I loved most.

I didn't have any friends (I had pushed them away many years ago, if I ever had them to begin with), so I didn't have to worry about that. And, by then, things in my family were...well, let's just say...for lack of a better word...crazy? The only ones still talking to me were my mother and sister, and they both had bipolar, too! So, you can just imagine the conversations, can't you?

Anyway, it's ok to go back and think about how things were in the beginning, IF I use it to remind myself of how far I've come in my recovery. Any more than that, and I become sad, and that is dangerous, because with this dragon called bipolar, that waits patiently in the shadows, waiting for me to visit it, waiting for just that vulnerable time, for me to let down my guard... if I become depressed, even just your everyday, "normal", garden-variety, depression...well, I just can't let myself go there for very long. I just can't! Because I just won't let this disease get the best of me again. Like I said before, it really kicked my butt. And right now, I am the one doing the butt-kicking, and I want it to stay that way. So, I may let myself stay on the pity-pot for a little while, but not long. Too chancy for me.

So, I heard this quote, and I wanted to share it with you. "Even on the worst day, the sun will still set." I thought about it in relation to my recovery from substance abuse--that if I should want a drink or drug, and you know we say "One day at a time," well, for me at times in the past it was "one HOUR at a time," if that compulsion to drink or drug should ever return... well, I can just think of that quote, and if I can just (hour by hour, if necessary) get thru the day till it's time to go to bed, I will make it. At least thru this day. Tomorrow I'll worry about tomorrow.

But then I thought of that quote in relation to bipolar disorder. "Even on the worst day, the sun will still set." Especially with thoughts of suicide. Don't know about y'all, but when I am in an episode (not manic, but depressed, usually), I don't want to be suicidal, but the thoughts are still there. And sometimes it's all I can do just to get thru the day not doing it. Just not doing it today.

Sometimes just getting thru today is the best we can do. And that's ALL we can do. So what? There were times during my bipolar depressions that I didn't think I could even get thru the next 5 minutes without committing suicide! And I wanted to shout to the world, "Leave me alone! I didn't kill myself today, what more do you want from me!" Really, cuz they just couldn't understand how big a deal that was for me, ya know?

And I worked my way up from that. One day I actually made it from the bed to the couch. If I'da been able to bake, I'da made myself a cake to celebrate. I mean, that day was really a big deal. But not as big a deal as the day I was able to actually leave the house and go to the grocery store. Wow--what incredible progress!

So, maybe if we look back today, and see how far we've come with this disorder... we won't be so overwhelmed at how far we still have to go. Remember, we are survivors--we WILL make it thru this day. No matter what your thoughts are, you do NOT have to kill yourself TODAY--just TODAY. And always remember--you are not alone!

Michele

6 Comments:

At 10:43 AM, Blogger Suzy said...

Michelle,
I know what you mean about the loss of relationships....I feel like a quitter but I just could not take anymore! Even after telling you, you gave me hope dealing with my Bipolar Fiancee...I just reached a breaking point and could not take anymore of his "slips" with self medicating!
Suzy

 
At 10:22 PM, Blogger Suzy said...

Hi,
Couldn't stay away from him...Bipolar...If I had cancer... Would he abandon me? He says no...So how can I cut out on him now? I can't... All I can do is keep trying to help him and continue to see my own therapist to survive this...:) LOL!!!!!

Suzy

 
At 12:22 PM, Blogger Michele said...

theresa--
I wish I could wave a wand over your husband and make him UN-bipolar, but it just don't work that way. Sorry, hon. But how is he not the same man as he was before the diagnosis? How can one day make a difference? I would think the medication would make him better, not worse. Which kind of BP is he, the happy-happy manic or the mean-mean kind?

Ok, you said "even with med there are going to be permanent changes in the person he is." Yes, on that you are right on. Change is inevitable. But we all change as we grow. Growth is good. You can both change together. Rediscover each other. He is probably very scared right now. Just having a diagnosis, a label, to put on something that he has probably suffered with all his life, suffered with silently, hiding his fear deep inside, never telling anyone, never letting anyone see his vulnerability...to finally know what was wrong...and then to know what it is, to have a name, and a medication to help it... well, this is the beginning of a journey that the two of you can take together. A merry-go-round of a journey...not always a pleasant journey...and you will want to throw in the towel many, many times, and no one will blame you if you do. But if you have enough love, enough faith, and enough fortitude, a journey that will pay off in diamonds.

However, and I will stress this. IF he has the mean-mean kind of BP, and is abusive in ANY way, even if it is "just" verbal or emotional...well, just remember that you have a choice. Take care of yourself first. That has nothing to do with love, faith, and fortitude. It has to do with "To thine own self be true." It has to do with self-preservation. Even tho some of us in a manic BP episode are verbally abusive and do not remember a thing of what we said when we're over it...it doesn't mean you have to tolerate it. You can walk away. You can have a safety plan. You can go somewhere. Take care of yourself.

As far as living in someone else's nightmare, honey, you are. You are living in his nightmare, and if you don't think it's scary, try reading the articles I wrote while in a BP episode (they're posted on the site)--they might help you see what we go thru, what's in our heads. A very scary place to be.

Educate yourself. Both of you. Learn as much as you can about BP. As a survivor (him) and a supporter (you). If you can, get Dave's program--it's the best thing out there to help you. If you do everything he says, you'll both come out all right. The next year will be the hardest. You will have to fight like you've never fought before.

If you love him, DON"T GIVE UP. The man you have lived with may never come back. Things will never be "normal" again. But you will find a "new normal."

You will not need the patience of a saint. You will need the patience of GOD. It takes more courage than most of us have to love someone with BP. But you have support. You have us. And always remember--YOU ARE NOT ALONE.

Praying for you both,
Michele

 
At 12:29 PM, Blogger Michele said...

Suzy--
I can understand why you say you feel like a quitter, but everyone has their breaking point. That doesn't sound like a quitter to me. You hung in there a long time. His "slips" are not your responsibility--they are his own. Just like I told theresa, you've got to look out for yourself. If your fiance was so busy self-medicating instead of taking his meds as prescribed, and going to therapy, and educating himself about BP...how else was he not doing right by you?

Still, I am sorry to hear it, because I know how much you love him. The only up side I can see is that at least you found out now before you married him. It doesn't help the hurt now, but it will in the long run. Remember, honey, you are not alone. We all care about you. Please keep talking about it, ok?

Michele

 
At 4:47 PM, Blogger Sandi K said...

Welcome back. WE all have to take time to get it together sometimes. I have met some very interesting people since your blog. I want to thank you for that. I think that several people have started blogs because of your courage.
Keep on keeping on,
Sandi K

 
At 11:54 AM, Blogger Suzy said...

Just wanted to let you know, that my Finacee and I are seeing a therapist TOGETHER! :) "He" has been put on Prozac and I have been precscibed, Cybalta and Klonopin! For me, I may not have to take the Cymbalta the rest of my life. I continue to read and educate myself on Bipolar Disorder, so that I can more effectively learn to deal with the stress that comes with loving a partner who has it. The Prozac.... Little by little.... Seems to be making a difference in his demeanor. He does not get irratated as easily and that make my life allot less stressful! :)
Thanks for taking the time to respond to your emails....I know it must be difficult with all you, yourself have to deal with daily. You are a brave and wonderful person! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home