Saturday, June 18, 2005

Everyday Miracles

Sometimes I get so focused on the negatives in life, the downside that BP so easily surrounds me with, that I forget to "Stop and smell the roses"--to appreciate the everyday miracles that I take for granted. For instances, it is a miracle that I am even alive today. I lived a very self-destructive lifestyle all those years before I was diagnosed with bipolar. I self-medicated with alcohol and drugs, overdosing and yet surviving. That is a miracle. Several times I tried to commit suicide and yet survived. That is a miracle. I was told at 17 yrs old that I would never be able to have children. I have given birth to 3 healthy, wonderful sons. They are all miracles.

But there are also everyday miracles--those things we overlook on a daily basis. I don't believe in coincidences. I believe that everything happens for a reason. Sometimes in big ways, sometimes in small ways. If we pay attention. If we look for them.

Today my everyday miracle was this: I've been needing a new vacuum cleaner (desperately!) since mine broke, but could not afford the new one at Wal-Mart, cheapest one being $70. So, being the yard sale addict that I am anyway, this brought reason to my weekly quest. However, part of my depression has been because of financial stress, and I had very little money with which to buy a vacuum cleaner. And I do mean very little money. Ok, ready for the punchline? I found a Eureka vacuum cleaner, in almost new condition, works perfectly, for FIVE DOLLARS!!! Now, tell me *that* isn't a miracle!

One of the ways to notice and record everyday miracles is to write a Gratitude List. List everything that comes to mind that you are grateful for that day. Start brainstorming, and you will be amazed how quickly your list will grow, from big things to small things, and you will find your spirits lifted as well. This is one of the best ways to battle the depressed side of bipolar.

Today I am not only grateful for my life and my healthy children, but I am also grateful for the birds singing outside my window, and for finding a $5 vacuum cleaner!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home